Wednesday 22 January 2014

Dialysis Side effects, Muscular Tremor, Wash back and it's Artery Overflow

Tuesday     2014/01/21

Each time after dialysis I would feel this muscular tremor which vibrates in the pit of stomach up to the chest which would last until the next morning. The tremor is the kind that can’t be detected by the naked eye, is like how one feels after holding or clinging to something vibrating for some time, even after releasing it, one still can feel the vibrating sensation. After morning session, it doesn’t feel as bad as after an afternoon one. Perhaps that is because one move around a lot and doing things during the day, while in the evening one just sit and lie done, with quietness, one’s senses get acute. There is no pain with the tremor which is only quite annoying, but tapers off with lapse of time.

My theory for the tremor is this, the blood is moving in the body at a faster speed than it is normally run, and generated more cycles than the natural pace would do which disturb the muscle’s natural environment and pisses them off. It is rather like a gushing wind run through the body each time one dialyse, and takes time for the muscle to quiet down.

When I dialyse on pump rate at 200ml/m, I did not feel the tremor, the clearance rate is less than optimal, because of bladder stress I couldn’t last longer hours, out of necessity I have to change pump rate to 250ml/m even it gives me the tremor. I guess in order to live one need to be pumped up.

It is not all sad and gloom, today I am quite happy about the wash back. Nurse P helped boss C taking me off, she managed to give all my blood back, including the artery outflow which is rarely being done except with exceptional skill. Every time getting off, there is this blood in a line between 15cm-35cm in length get lost with wash back which I call orphan. Most medical people dismiss it as nothing, they always say, “You will grow back in no time.” Perhaps it is true for a health person. But I am anaemic and I do care. I dialyse every other day cumulatively it would matter, to me at least. So every time, I watch helplessly when the orphan gets lost and feel sad.

Losing the orphan is standard practice, only with exceptional skill and a kind caring heart can prevent this orphan from being. I am very appreciative whenever it is prevented, albeit rare.


I am happy today, it was a good run, nothing unexpected, and my blood pressure was stable. Stress free is a good thing. Amen to that.   

No comments:

Post a Comment