Friday 21 March 2014

Haemodialysis Fluid Paradox


Friday 2014-03-21

My status has risen on the dialysis chair, now there’s no need for me to drink water, tea or coffee, I’ve been upgraded to saline. On dialysis I take on 710ml of saline which include 220ml prime, 220ml wash back, 300ml extra minus 30ml UF (minimum machine accept), they say I can pee it out. The nurses are very considerate the 300ml is broken into 3 intravenous infusions to alleviate their impact or in another sense 300ml at one go, they could be tired of running my toilet trips. The amount of fluid I’m given almost equals to my fellow patient’s off rate.

Since I’m doing longer hours, the nurses related my lethargy, light headedness, yawning, headache and cramps to dehydration hence the decision of extra saline, the advice of ingesting more salt and sugar. I’m very scared of their creative ideas. Probably they will give me glucose IV next as I’m not diabetic.

Not too long ago, on 11th Jan (refer to my previous blog), another senior nurse was very angry with my refusal to have fluid removed and called the doctor to back her up but failed. In the end of that day she gave me a lecture about the importance of fluid removal.

My physical condition hasn’t changed, but the nurses’ attitudes towards my fluid issue have. I wonder what would happen if they met and talked about my condition. Could both of them be right, wrong, or one of them right and the other is wrong? I’m confused. Could I, the only one who has got it right?


By the way, after all the trouble they have put me through, the mother hospital now is providing me a psychiatrist to help me dealing with the stress they put on.(The 1st session ended with 5 repeats of sleeping pills). Am I the only person who needs a shrimp?

No comments:

Post a Comment