Tuesday 23 September 2014

Haemodialysis Risk -- Fistula Needle Shortage

Tuesday 2014-9-23  

Fresenius 17G, 20mm or 15mm fistula needle is a phantom rather than a description of a needle. It is unbelievable that I am the only person in whole Australia who requests such a needle. Months passed the official word is I am discouraged to have hopes ever using such a needle. I think I am being fed fibs. I am really puzzled by this situation.

The force of high blood flow velocity produced a wave of Ws on my arm with enough Ws to open a web site. By the way it is still developing the surgeon might even add the detail of the site name. Sadly with the straight section between each bend is all less than 20mm, I am still waiting for the needle which opens the web site. 

Currently I am using 25mm length needle (another puzzle for me instead of Fresenius’ which is our supplier it is from Nipro), half of which must be left outside, once it is taped and secured arterial pressure could drop from 0mmhg dramatically, the same goes with venous to the other extreme, very often this would render the machine unworkable. Not to mention the fact that when it does work I must sit hours still and endure constant pricking pain.

The surgeon said my fistula has good flow, which is quite true, but where on earth can I find the right needle for the bizarre shape. Last time he saw me, he suggested using my upper arm, the access nurse on his behalf called my training nurse and passed the surgeon’s message right in front of my face. On surface everybody is in unison.

Back at the training centre, the upper arm conversation seemed never took place, I was still taught using my lower arm. The fistula is bad, but it is the only vein I began to know. Perhaps the nurse shared the same thought not mentioning the upper arm. The irony is the one who prescribe where and how to put the needle does not do the needling.

For now my fistula is serving as a supplement to my catheter (perma-cath) than a life line on its own.

I hear there is still hope.  A plastic needle of some sort is under talks of being imported. I was told

that this is the needle for me.  Patience…

1 comment: